Smoothie bowls are impossible to escape these days. If you have yet to drink the metaphorical Kool Aid, consider this an introduction. Trust me, the sweet flavors of fruit mask the kale quite well!
I always prefer smoothies over plain fruit juices because (while they are high in naturally occurring sugars), the fiber will keep you more full.
That said, I personally cannot “drink my meals.” I need to chew on something hearty to feel I’ve really eaten a full course. Nevertheless, this type of bowl is a perfect type of snack! I can see this working well post-workout to replenish lost carb stores.
Let’s blend, shall we?
- 1 knob fresh ginger, minced finely
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 medium banana, sliced and frozen into pieces
- 2 large handfuls kale or spinach
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen zucchini or cauliflower (for thickness)
- 1 TBS liquid sweetener of choice (optional, maple syrup or agave both work)
- Toppings of choice (granola, coconut, or sliced fruit)
- In either a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Let blend for a few minutes, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Add more ginger for bite and juice/maple syrup for sweetness.
- Drink immediately! Leftovers will keep for about a day.