The taste of a banana split will always be nostalgic for me. While in high school I worked the counter of an ice cream stand (hey, Creamland!), and banana splits were a common order from customers. Some of my coworkers would groan when we got this request, but for whatever reason I really enjoyed the systematic procedure involved in assembling a perfect sundae. I always found the mingling myriad of flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) and textures (nuts, hot fudge, whipped cream) immensely satisfying.
I hope you enjoy this healthy twist on a classic banana split! It tastes indulgent but is healthy enough for any time of day. Serves 1 person generously.
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into chunks before freezing
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- Ice cubes (optional)
- 3 TBS cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings of choice (candy sprinkles, strawberries, bananas, nuts, chocolate chunks, etc.)
- Blend 2 large frozen bananas in food processor (or blender) with 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (add ice cubes if desired for more volume).
- Pour out half of banana mixture and set aside. Blend 3 TBS cocoa powder and 1 tsp vanilla extract in remaining liquid.
- Combine two portions into one bowl. I used a toothpick to create the lines in the photo below.
- Top with chocolate chunks, sprinkles, fruits, or nuts!