*Disclaimer: This post is best enjoyed while listening to “The Nutcracker” soundtrack.*
Happy Holidays, everyone! I say this every year, but it’s hard to believe ’tis the season once again. I’ve already bookmarked multiple cookie recipes to share with my loved ones. Today’s recipe is not of the dessert variety, and frankly could be enjoyed all winter long.
I’ve been craving the cozy flavor of gingerbread ever since temperatures dropped here in D.C. While the most common iteration is a cookie, I wanted to expand my horizons. Quick breads are one of my favorite baked goods to whip up because they literally take just 15 minutes of prep.
This bread makes a delicious breakfast when toasted and smeared with almond butter. I normally eat it as a post workout snack, too.
A common fear with vegan loaves is that they won’t rise enough. The trick here is to use the FULL tablespoon of baking powder. The reacts with the vinegar/lemon juice to really help the bread puff up. Chia or flax eggs both work, so just us whatever you have on hand!
This post is inspired by Hummusapien. Please let me know if you make this recipe by uploading a picture to Instagram and tagging @garlichead ! Your photos are my favorite things🎅
- 2 TBS chia seeds + 5 TBS water
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 2 tsp each ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each allspice, nutmeg, and salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup molasses (any kind, blackstrap yields a less sweet loaf which I like)
- 3 TBS applesauce or more pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- More cranberries and ginger for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 5′ bread pan and set aside.
- In a small cup, combine chia seeds and water. Set aside to firm up.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond milk and acid of choice. Set aside to curdle (this is like vegan “buttermilk”).
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- To the medium bowl with milk, add pumpkin, maple syrup, molasses, applesauce, vanilla, and chia + water mixture.
- Slowly pour wet mixture into dry. Before stirring, add candied ginger, walnuts, and cranberries if using. Mix until just combined and pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Add more cranberries and ginger on top, if desired. Bake for one hour.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely. Serve with maple syrup or nut butter. Enjoy!