I am spending this week between Christmas and New Year’s at my parent’s home in Erie, Pennsylvania. If you haven’t heard, we’ve been hit with almost FIVE FEET of snow. I love it!
The bitterly cold temperatures mean that I am really not in the mood to step outside much. With this weather it is easy to go stir-crazy, which is why I’ve been working to dream up some cozy, plant-based comfort food for you all. What better place to start than a savory, vegetable loaded pie?
Traditional pot pies are full of meat and cheese. I wanted to provide an option that fits a vegan diet but does not sacrifice flavor. This is truly a stick-to-your-ribs dish, and I am so excited that it turned out well!
The filling components are rather flexible. but I do recommend purchasing high quality chick peas (Goya is the best brand, in my opinion). Some notes about the crust: if you’re less concerned with whole grains, all purpose flour will yield a lighter pastry. Vegan butter in place of the applesauce + olive oil will also make a more indulgent meal. I just want to provide options for all dietary preferences.
I served this to my carnivore father and he ate two huge slices right away–a ringing endorsement if there ever was one! This recipe was inspired by my good friend Emilie Eats. Please let me know if you try it by tagging @garlichead on Instagram. Happy New Year to all!
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium gold potato, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, and corn)
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 TBS EACH whole wheat flour, corn starch, and nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp EACH oregano, basil, and rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can sub all purpose for lighter texture)
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup olive oil (can sub 1/2 cup vegan butter for flakier crust)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a medium stock pot, saute onion in olive oil over medium-love heat for five minutes, until golden. Add carrot, celery and potato. Cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add chick peas and veggies.
- After frozen vegetables have warmed, add broth/water, flour, corn starch, yeast, and spices. Cook for 10 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a pie pan.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking power, and salt. If using vegan butter, cut it into small pieces using a fork. If using applesauce + olive oil, combine thoroughly. Slowly pour in ice water and mix until combined.
- On a nicely floured surface, knead dough and roll into a circular shape using a rolling pin.
- Pour your chickpea filling into prepared pie pan and lie crust over top. Crimp the sides of the dough using a fork (see photo for reference). Optionally, brush vegan butter on top of crust for a crispier finish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.