I. Love. Bread.
Let’s get that confession out of the way.
Since I’ve been home this holiday, every morning I’ve wolfed down a couple delicious slices of my mother’s seedy buckwheat rye loaf. It’s so hearty and full of nutrients. I tend to steer clear of store bought bread because (sadly) it’s often loaded with added sugars and ingredients I cannot pronounce.
These little toasts are my attempt at stepping outside of the classic bread box. I give you–toasted sweet potatoes!
Now, if you’re an enterprising eater with a fairly open schedule, you could certainly go the route of actually making these slices in the toaster. It would warrant about 15 minutes per wedge; frankly that’s a little too hands-on for my taste. The solution? A quick 25 minutes in the oven!
Once toasted nicely, these slices are perfect vessels for any combination of flavors. I’ve provided five options that are delightful, but please feel free to experiment with more. Hummus would be a great base. Or if you’re going the sweeter route, some chocolate hazelnut spread! Coconut butter + golden raisins sounds dreamy too.
Please let me know in the comments what other flavor variations you test out. I made these for my boyfriend’s breakfast and he was a big fan! The trick if you’re low on time is to roast the potatoes at the beginning of the week and pop them in the toaster the morning you’re craving them. They’ll crisp back up nicely for a speedy and nutritious breakfast.
This recipe is gluten free and vegan. It can be made nut free if you avoid the nut butter options (or use sunflower seed butter as a tasty substitute). I guarantee every one of your friends can find a version of this toast they enjoy. In case, of course, they do not like sweet potatoes. But if that’s true, do you really want to be friends with them?
I hope you enjoy this fun twist on traditional toast! Bread still has a special place in my heart, but there’s no reason we can’t mix it up every now and then. This recipe serves five toast slices, depending on the sizes of your sweet potatoes. Please let me know in the comments what combinations you come up with and don’t forget to tag @garlichead on Instagram!
- Two sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- Toppings of choice
- One TBS almond butter + 1/4 cup berries + a sprinkle of cinnamon
- One TBS peanut butter + 1/4 banana + one TBS chocolate shavings
- Three TBS vegan ricotta* + two tsp agave syrup + four almonds
- 1/4 avocado + one TBS nutritional yeast + one tsp red pepper flakes
- One TBS tahini + One chopped date + 1/2 TBS dried cranberries + one tsp chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay potato slices down evenly, not overlapping.
- Once preheated, roast potatoes for 25 – 30 minutes, until slightly browned/soft but not burnt.
- Remove from oven, add toppings of choice, and serve immediately! These slices will keep in the fridge for a week and can easily be reheated in a toaster.