Today’s forecast: 100% chance of Parmesan showers.
Are you looking for a creamy, comforting, plant-based meal that takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish? Search no further!
This vegan dish will be a new weeknight favorite. It tastes remarkably close to a traditional Alfredo but is packed with protein and nourishing vitamins.
It’s wonderful when a recipe comes together almost entirely in a blender. You probably already have a lot of these ingredients on hand. Crispy sage and charred walnuts are totally optional but really enhance the cozy pumpkin flavor. I stole that idea from the delectable ravioli at Girasole!
Any kind of small pasta will work here, but I was curious to try something new; chickpea and red lentil piqued my interest. It’s a great option for my gluten-free pals or anyone looking for more protein.
If you give this sauce a try, please tag @garlic_head on Instagram! I truly love seeing your creations.
- 1 box pasta of choice
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric (for color, optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBS tomato paste (optional)
- 2 tsp fresh sage, chopped finely, plus additional leaves for topping
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
- Boil a large pot of water and cook your pasta per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add 1 TBS olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, until golden. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and place in a food processor.
- Add paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, optional tomato paste, sage, almond milk, pumpkin, and nutritional yeast. Blend until all ingredients are incorporated and a smooth sauce forms.
- Pour sauce into a small pan over low heat and cook until desired thickness is reached. While this is happening, add 1 TBS olive oil to your skillet and toast walnuts and sage (over low heat) until slightly charred but not burnt.
- Ladle sauce over bowls of pasta and top with charred sage, walnuts, and vegan parm.