Here is the United States, tomorrow is Presidents Day. Many myths have arisen regarding George Washington, but none more lasting that the fable of the cherry tree (you know the one, “I cannot tell a lie…). If you’re really curious, here’s some more info.
To honor our nation’s founder, why don’t we eat some cherry almond bread?
OK, I agree that was not the smoothest transition😂 And to be honest, I’ve been meaning to post this treat for a LONG time. It’s one of my most heavily frequented recipes and it very customizable! It is oil-free and can be refined sugar-free.
Don’t have cherries on hand? And berry or chopped small fruit should work. If you are out of almond extract, just sub a little extra vanilla. Same goes for the nut addition: if you’re out of almonds just go with walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
This bread comes together quickly and freezes very well. I recommend toasting and spreading a thick coating of almond butter.
- 2 TBS ground flax seeds + 5 TBS water
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 TBS almond milk and 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBS applesauce (can sub coconut oil)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Combine flax and water in a small bowl and set aside (this will be your egg replacement).
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, vinegar, granulated sweetener, applesauce, almond extract, and flax egg. Add to flour mixture and gently fold in cherries and almonds.
- In a lightly oiled loaf pan, cover bread with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. I personally prefer mine a little underdone, but feel free to experiment! Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before slicing.
- Best enjoyed with nut butter + a mug of coffee☕️
*If you are gluten free, try subbing white whole wheat for 1 cup buckwheat flour + 1 cup GF oat flour.