It feels odd writing a “recipe” for toast because, well…how complicated does it really get?
However, friends, therein lies the beauty! Toast is really hard to mess up, and when avocado is involved you know it’s going to be delicious. I felt this post warranted because I wanted to share my own variation of this classic “food blogger” meal. AKA my every-morning breakfast as of late.
First things first: bread quality is key; I like the Sprouted Wheat Berry kind from Trader Joe’s. It toasts nicely and has some fun walnut pieces for crunch. Any whole grain loaf should stand up nicely. I’ve been dreaming of a pumpernickel variation, so hopefully I can get my hands on some soon!
Nutritional yeast lends that cheesy umami flavor while packing a nice protein punch. It’s important to mash it in WITH the avocado. Just sprinkling it on top = lots of yeast stuck to the back of your teeth and a small gold dusting over your entire table with each bite. No bueno.
Have you tried “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning yet? If not, get ready for a treat! It’s just what it sounds like: a spice mixture that is used on top of “everything” bagels. If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s (I am so sorry if this is the case), feel free to create your own mixture that is 1 TBS each poppy seeds, toasted sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, with about 2 tsp sea salt as well.
Mash the avo with nutritional yeast while your bread is toasting. Once the bread is ready, spread creamy green deliciousness on top and finish with a smattering of everything bagel seasoning á la Salt Bae. Wham bam thank you mam! It’s Toast Time.
INGREDIENTS (serves one):
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 1/4 – 1/2 ripe avocado (depending on its size)
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 2 TBS Everything but the Bagel Seasoning (see notes above for DIY version)
- Optional additions: red pepper flakes, Old Bay, micro greens, strawberries, etc.
- Toast two slices of bread to your liking. While bread is toasting, mash avocado and nutritional yeast with a fork until a rough paste forms.
- Spread avocado mixture on top of toasted bread and sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel seasoning. Enjoy right away!