Few fruits scream “summer” to me more than fresh berries. Besides being conveniently festive in color for Memorial Day/4th of July/Labor Day, they add the perfect pop of juicy flavor to SO many summer dishes: oatmeal, smoothies, French toast, muffins, crumbles, and of course — scones!
Scones have been one of my favorite breakfasts for years. They feel fancy but require very minimal effort. Once autumn rolls around, I love whipping up pumpkin pecan!
But today we’re celebrating all things warm and summery. This recipe is made much lighter with yogurt — and only 3 TBS coconut oil for the entire batch! Whole wheat flour provides whole grain goodness along with some staying power. I tend to go light on the sweetener here (because jam = life), but feel free to add more if your palate enjoys it!
These are my boyfriend’s most-requested recipe, and I hope you see why. A perfect summer breakfast is only 30 minutes away! This recipe makes 6 large scones but can easily be doubled. Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen!
- 1 cup + 3 TBS whole wheat flour (or a mixture of all purpose and wheat if you prefer a lighter scone. If gluten free, substitute Bob’s Red Mill 1 for 1)
- 1 – 3 TBS brown sugar, depending on desired sweetness level
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBS ground flax + 3 TBS water
- 1/3 cup dairy free Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Chopped candied ginger, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and lightly oil or parchment-line a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flax and water and let rest for a couple minutes (this is your egg replacement). Add yogurt, vanilla, and coconut oil. Pour wet mixture into dry and gently combine until crumbly but cohesive. Add in chopped strawberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times until all strawberries are evenly incorporated and a disk shape is formed. Place dough on baking sheet and cut into 6 pieces, while maintaining the circle. For extra oomph, spray lightly with oil/vegan butter and top with a few TBS of coarse sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and pieces of candied ginger.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and firm The bottoms will bake quickly so be sure to check carefully. Remove sheet from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve is honey, agave, butter, or jam.