Another appropriate name for this meal– The Farmer’s Market Special 🥒🍅🌽🥗🍋🌱.
I am lucky enough to live near a bustling market where I often can scope out a rainbow variety of peak-of-season veggies. Everything tastes more vibrant and I love being able to support local businesses and farmers. I understand that this option is not affordable for everyone, but if you have the means I highly recommend it!
Vegetables taste their very best in these hot August days, but I am sure I’m not alone in my hesitation to turn on the oven. The flavors of this deconstructed lasagna are equally vibrant and the whole meal comes together in just 30 minutes.
I used semolina noodles, but really any type of pasta will work! You just need to make sure the sauce covers the noodles entirely while simmering so they can easily soften.
I topped this with my vegan ricotta, but feel free to try any type of cheese you have on hand.
Juicy tomatoes, aromatic basil, toothsome pasta…I think I’ll eat this for the rest of the summer!
This dish was inspired by Making Thyme for Health and can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
Ingredients (all organic if possible):
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, cubed
- 3/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 large heirloom tomato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 – 2 cups pasta sauce of choice, and optional 1/2 cup water
- 4 – 6 dry lasagna sheets, broken into smaller pieces
- Fresh basil cashew parmesan and for garnishing
- 1 batch vegan ricotta
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet and sauté onion for a couple of minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Add pepper, zucchini, corn, garlic, tomato, and red pepper and cook for five minutes more, stirring frequently while vegetables soften.
- Add in sauce and noodles, taking care to cover pasta completely. You may need to add more than one cup of sauce, depending on how much space your veggies take up in the pan. Feel free to add some water to coat completely.
- Bring pan to a low boil, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with fresh basil, dollops of vegan ricotta, crusty bread, and cheese of choice. Bon appétit!