Picnic season is in full swing and I am not mad about it💃
There is something so fun about packing a basket of treats and hauling it outside to dine. At times, creating a flavorful yet easily transported meal may seem daunting. I can assure you, a tasty dinner al fresco needn’t be complex!
Some of my most favorite memories include meals outside, ideally those packed and taken on a hike.
I am the kind of person that finds more peace in the woods than at the beach, so nothing soothes me like being able to connect with the great outdoors as often as possible.
But let’s face it — a girl’s got to eat! In times like these, I need quick and simple meals with lasting energy to power me through whatever activities I choose.
I was pleasantly surprised with how flavorful this sandwich is. The white bean/avocado mash provides a satisfying and creamy base that is brightened up with tangy lemon juice and vibrant herbs (cilantro, and basil and parsley all work beautifully).
Nutritional yeast, what I like to call “golden dust,” plays a crucial, cheesy role. It also adds almost 15 grams of plant protein.
This meal comes together in less than 10 minutes and is food processor-optional. The filling is fairly versatile– I am sure it would be equally tasty in a pita, on top of a bed of greens, or even as a dip with crackers.
If possible, I recommend putting the sandwich together just before eating to avoid sogginess.
What are your favorite side dishes to bring on a picnic? Let me know in the comments below!
This recipe serves about 4 sandwiches. As always, please tag @garlic_head so that I can see your lovely creations🥑!Print
Forget egg salad–this tasty avocado mash will keep you full and is bursting with fresh, herby flavors!
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS freshly chopped basil/cilantro/parsley (whatever you're in the mood for)
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp tahini (optional)
- For serving: 1 heirloom tomato, sliced into rounds, lettuce, spinach, or more herbs, hummus, crusty bread
- Add all filling ingredients to a medium sized bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, combine ingredients until a cohesive mixture forms.
- Season to taste, starting off with more salt and pepper. Lemon juice lends brightness, while nutritional yeast and tahini add umami.
- Serve on toasted bread with a little hummus, lettuce, and tomato.
- Category: lunch