Cheers to the first post of 2019!🥂
Winter tends to be a time of low cooking inspiration for me. Maybe it’s the cold weather that only has me craving soups or the lack of typically available produce.
Regardless of the reason, I always feel my best when I incorporate as many fruits and vegetables as possible into my meals while still creating something satisfying that keeps me full.
Buddha bowls typically combine plant protein, grains, and vegetables for a nourishing dish that is entirely customizable to your personal preference; the true beauty of this concept lies in its flexibility. Feel free to customize with whatever green veggies you have on hand!
Sauce is the magical binding agent that brings all of your elements together. I was feeling rather lazy and just used plain tahini (which comes in a squirt bottle now?). I think that pesto would be lovely as well.
If you have more time I recommend roasting some root vegetables (carrots, beets, or potatoes) so that their flavors caramelize. I wanted to make mine as quickly as possible so opted out of this.
I already had a can of black beans opened from another meal, so into the bowl they went! Rolling the zucchini into spirals is entirely optional, but isn’t it fun to sometimes play with your food?😊
This recipe serves two bowls. I hope you enjoy! Please tag @garlic_head so I can see your creations. 🌿
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced in half
- 1 cup cooked rice or quinoa, divided
- 1 cup mixed greens, divided
- 1 small zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- 1 large rainbow carrot, sliced into coins
- Handful of green beans (or snap peas or edamame)
- 1 cup beans of choice, divided (I used black beans)
- 8 small sprigs of asparagus
- Tahini for serving (or dressing of choice, such as pesto or balsamic)
- Optional add-ins: roasted potatoes, roasted beets, kale, sunflower seeds (the list goes on and on here)
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Once ready, add your asparagus and green beans to blanche. Let cook for a couple of minutes, or until vibrantly colored. Set aside.
- In two small bowls, begin layering your ingredients. In each bowl add 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup cooked grain, 1/2 cup mixed greens, a few zucchini ribbons, some carrot coins, 4 sprigs asparagus, some green beans, and 1/2 cup black beans.
- Drizzle dressing of choice over each bowl; I used plain tahini. Enjoy!