The Super Bowl is nearly here, and many are preparing game day snacks. Being the second largest “food holiday” in America, the lineup is competitive. Unfortunately, there are rarely many plant-based options at party spreads. Hummus and carrots are the old standby of course, but let’s branch out!
If you’re looking for a more substantive bite that’s healthy and delicious, why not try some taco sliders?
As soon as I came across mini corn tortillas at my grocery store, I knew I wanted to try. I am not normally one to say this but…how cute!!! And perfectly bite-sized for noshing at a tailgate. I may need to start creating mini dishes of everything on the blog…😂
This recipe is fairly simple and takes less than 30 minutes to prep. This means more time to watch the game…or socialize with friends, wait for the halftime show, or watch commercials. Your call!
The ingredients here can also be totally modified to what’s available in your fridge. Out of peppers? Try subbing mushrooms, yellow squash, or yellow corn. Roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts also make a fantastic filling duo.
These kind of easy meals are very satisfying for my tastebuds and wallet. I hope to continue on this “minimalist” trend the rest of the year.
Please let me know what combinations of tacos you try, I hope you love them!
- 10 mini corn tortillas, or 6 regular-sized
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 bell peppers, washed and sliced into strips
- 1 tsp each of: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and oregano (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 -3 handfuls of baby spinach, chopped if desired
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- Salsa, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cashew parmesan for sprinkling, optional*
- A few sprigs cilantro, optional
- Take out however many tortillas you plan on using immediately. Open refried beans into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for a minute or two, until warm.
- Sauté your peppers and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through, about seven minutes. If desired, add dashes of garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and oregano (about 1 tsp each). If you prefer your peppers raw, feel free to leave out the onion and skip this step! Remove peppers from heat and set aside.
- Prepare each mini taco by layering refried beans, peppers & onion, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and avocado slices. If using, add cilantro, salsa, and cashew parmesan. Serve warm with some lime!
*To make vegan parmesan, combine 1 cup cashews with 4 TBS nutritional yeast, 1 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp garlic powder in a high-speed blender until crumbly. Trust me, it goes with everything.