This chocolate pretzel pie is a healthy twist on a decadent recipe, totally vegan and gluten-free! A pretzel crust and chocolate covered pretzels on top, this is a great vegan party dessert.
Finally, a dessert post!
Truth be told, most of the time I don’t feel like making a fancy dessert. As unusual as this may seem for someone who writes about food for fun, dessert in my house is so often an afterthought. A 70% dark chocolate bar often satisfies my sweets craving, and the plethora other store bought goodies make it hard to justify spending hours on a sweet treat.
There are of course instances (a friend’s birthday, perhaps), when making your own dessert from scratch really means something. Lucky for us, this fudge-y pie comes together in just 30 minutes!
Yes, you are required to pull out a food processor which we all know is the worst kitchen appliance to clean. But with no need for fancy whipping or chilling, I hope you can forgive me 🙂
What may come surprisingly to some readers is that the chocolate-y base of this dish is actually extra-firm tofu! It lends a hearty texture and becomes nice and solid in the fridge, like cheesecake. Not to worry, any soy taste is completely covered by the other add-ins including chocolate chips and maple syrup.
The salty-sweet contrast from a three-ingredient pretzel crust is hopefully one you will also enjoy. This base could certainly be used in other pies (maybe a strawberry in the summer?).
Topping with extra pretzels is definitely optional; it would be delicious with whipped cream or even peanut butter. Go crazy!
Pin this image:
How to Make Chocolate Pretzel Pie
- For pretzel crust:
- 2 cups pretzels, gluten-free if needed (measure once ground, explained below)
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- 3 TBS sugar of choice
- For filling:
- 1 14 oz container extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 and ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 2 TBS milk of choice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 10 oz chocolate chips, melted
- 3 - 5 TBS maple syrup, depending on how sweet you like things
- Extra pretzels for topping, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor, pulse pretzels until they are coarse and semi-sandy, but not a complete powder. Measure 2 cups and pour into a large bowl. Add melted butter and sugar; stir until tacky and combined. In an oiled pie plate, line crust carefully, packing down with your hands to cover. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Back in your food processor, add all filling ingredients and blend together until smooth. If mixture is not cohesive, add one more TBS milk. Adjust to your taste preferences, adding more maple syrup for sweetness.
- Pour filling into crust and chill in fridge until ready to serve! It will set up a little more once chilled. Feel free to decorate with extra pretzels if desired.