It feels odd writing a “recipe” for toast because, well…how complicated does it really get?
Toast is really hard to mess up, and when avocado is involved you know it’s going to be delicious. I felt this post warranted because I wanted to share my own variation of this classic “food blogger” meal. AKA my every-morning breakfast as of late.
First things first: bread quality is key; if I am lucky I toast up some crusty whole wheat sourdough. It crisps nicely and is sturdy enough to handle toppings, but any whole grain loaf should stand up. I’ve been dreaming of a pumpernickel variation, so hopefully I can get my hands on some soon!
Nutritional yeast lends that cheesy umami flavor while packing a nice protein punch. It’s important to mash it in WITH the avocado. Just sprinkling it on top = lots of yeast stuck to the back of your teeth and a small gold dusting over your entire table with each bite. Ew.
It’s best to mash the avo with nutritional yeast while your bread is toasting. That is of course the only real topping you need, but for a little more excitement I add a dab of tahini, a sprinkle of lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, crushed red pepper, and Everything But the Bagel. Whew!
Have you tried “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning? It’s just what it sounds like: a spice mixture that is used on top of “everything” bagels. If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s (I am so sorry if this is the case), feel free to create your own mixture that is 1 TBS each poppy seeds, toasted sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, with about 2 tsp sea salt as well.
INGREDIENTS (serves one):
- 2 slices bread of choice (I use whole wheat sourdough)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS Everything but the Bagel Seasoning (see notes above for DIY version)
- Optional additions: tahini, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and Old Bay
- Toast two slices of bread to your liking. While bread is toasting, mash avocado and nutritional yeast with a fork until a rough paste forms.
- Spread avocado mixture on top of toasted bread and sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel seasoning. If desired, add a drizzle of tahini, a few drops of fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp Old Bay, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Enjoy right away!