This creamy pink sauce pasta is a perfect summer meal; it’s totally vegan and decadently splashed with rose! Of course it’s a great excuse for a few glasses of wine while cooking, too.
- 3/4 cup cashews
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- Two 15 oz cans high quality diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup rose wine
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce/coconut aminos
- 1 lb short pasta of choice
- large bunches broccolini (or broccoli, green beans, kale, collards, or chard)
- Fresh basil to garnish, Cashew parmesan for serving
- Add your cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water to soak for 15 minutes.
- We will next begin sauce. In a large sauce pan, heat 3 TBS olive oil over medium. One hot add onion, stir, and saute for 5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, a dash of salt and pepper, and 2 tsp dried basil. Stir for 30 seconds more. Add in tomatoes and red wine, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- While this is simmering, drain now-soaked cashews in a colander. Add to a high-speed blender along with 1 cup water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, soy sauce/aminos, and another few twists of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth (this is our “cream”). Set aside.
- Boil some water for pasta in another large pot. Prepare according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining. 3 minutes before finished, add in green veggie of choice (I used broccolini) to cook through. Drain pasta. and set aside.
- Add cashew cream to sauce pot, stirring completely. Remove from heat. Add in pasta with veggies and stir to coat.Serve pink sauce pasta hot with more red pepper flakes, cashew parmesan, and fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian