This healthy, easy peach cobbler is your end-of-summer dessert solution! Fresh & juicy peaches with a fluffy, gluten-free biscuit topping – this is the ultimate peach dessert!
What better way to finish off august than a sweet, jammy dish that works equally well for breakfast or dessert?
Fresh fruit is arguably one of my favorite parts of the summer. This cobbler celebrates an all-star of the season: juicy peaches!
Are you a cobbler or crisp person? To be totally honest, I’ve always been partial to fruit crisps. However, I wanted to give the humble cobbler a chance. So many people love them so I figured there must be something redeeming about little biscuits atop ripe, golden peaches.
I wanted the topping here to feel reminiscent of shortcake: light, fluffy, and subtly sweet. It just so happens to be vegan and gluten free! I love using almond flour not because I am gluten intolerant but rather because it lends a nutty quality to baked goods.
I used organic white peaches here because they are were affordable and very full of flavor. Frozen peaches would also work!
I have enjoyed this both as a dessert with ice cream and as a breakfast with nuts and yogurt. Baking in a cast iron skillet grants visual appeal but also makes for easy reheating during a cookout: just place the pan right on the grill to warm!
I hope you enjoy this summery cobbler! Please tag @garlic_head on Instagram so I can see your lovely creations!
Pin this image
How to make this healthy peach cobblerPrint
This healthy peach cobbler is your end-of-summer dessert solution! Fresh & juicy peaches with a fluffy, gluten-free biscuit topping – this is the ultimate peach dessert!
- 5 to 6 cups sliced fresh peaches (about 4 to 5 large)
- 3 TBS corn starch, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup oat flour (can also sub whole wheat pastry flour if not gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBS coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Pinch cinnamon or grated ginger, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine peaches, almond extract, 2 TBS corn starch and 1/4 cup sugar. Pour into a cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, baking powder, remaining 1 TBS cornstarch, and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut oil, vanilla, almond milk, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and optional cinnamon. Slowly add the wet mixture to dry. Be careful not to mix too much; you don’t want the dough to become overworked and tough. If it seems too dry, add another splash of almond milk.
- Spoon batter on top of fruit skillet in biscuit shapes. as seen in the photos. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden. Best enjoyed warm with ice cream or yogurt!
- Category: Dessert