These fig toasts look fancy but are ready in just 10 minutes! Vegan ricotta and maple syrup are the perfect additions to crusty grilled toast and juicy, ripe figs. Spread with a cinnamon sugar butter, you won’t want to miss out on your new favorite breakfast!
Fig Toast, a perfect autumn breakfast
Fresh figs always tempt me when grocery shopping this time of year. While note exactly a “practical” purchase, you can’t deny how pretty they look on, well, everything.
When Trader Joe’s was selling a large package for less than $5, I just had to treat myself! It’s been said before that I have a real passion for toast. Thus, this decadent fig toast was born.
What can I pair with figs?
Figs go very well with many kinds of cheese! Spread this toast with vegan ricotta, cinnamon sugar, and a dash of maple syrup, this 10-minute meal really feels restaurant-quality. Grilling the bread is completely optional! I used my grill pan to keep things easy. It is important to find a high-quality, crusty loaf though, as we are going heavy on toppings. I chose sourdough!
If you do not feel like making a cashew ricotta, vegan yogurt works just as well. I have not tried vegan cream cheese, but if that’s your jam by all means, go for it.
How to make this fig toast
- First, you’ll combine some vegan butter with a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. You’ll then spread this on both sides of a piece of your favorite crusty bread.
- After preheating your grill pan or skillet to high, you’ll toast up the bread until nice and crispy. While this is happening, you’ll halve some fresh figs.
- The final step = go wild with toppings! We’re using ricotta, maple syrup, fresh figs, and crushed nuts.
I can see this dish working well at a brunch party when you don’t want to put a lot of effort into a meal, but still want a “wow” factor from your guests. This could even work as a weekday breakfast if some ingredients are prepped ahead of time.
More tips for making great fig toast
- Be sure your pan is extremely hot before adding your bread. It will only need to cook for 1 minute per side!
- Slicing your bread thickly will help it support toppings.
- For even more flavor, add a splash of cinnamon and vanilla to your vegan ricotta.
- Any kind of crushed nuts will work, so I recommend choosing your favorites or whatever you have on hand! Granola would also do the job.