This Vegan Pumpkin Pasta is a perfect fall meal! Full of cozy spices and cheesy flavor, it’s a great weeknight dish ready in just 15 minutes. The sauce is made in a blender to save time on this healthy pasta dinner!
This post is an old one from the blog that has been updated!
Are you looking for a creamy, comforting, plant-based meal that takes just about minutes from start to finish? Search no further!
This vegan dish will be a new weeknight favorite. It tastes remarkably close to a traditional Alfredo but is completely dairy- and cream-free. The silky texture is a result of canned pumpkin, while the cheesy flavor profile comes from nutritional yeast.
It’s wonderful when a recipe comes together almost entirely in a blender. Plus, you probably already have a lot of these ingredients on hand. Crispy sage and charred walnuts are totally optional but really enhance the cozy pumpkin flavor. I stole that idea from the delectable ravioli at Girasole!
What shape should I use for this pumpkin pasta?
Any kind of short pasta will work here, as it’s the best shape for holding the thick sauce. I am using Orecchiette, which actually means “little ears” in Italian.
Shells tend to give a more “mac-and-cheese” vibe, but I think that fusilli or bowties would also be fun!
Why you’ll love this dish:
- While your pasta is cooking, your sauce is made entirely in a blender. This saves both time and dishes to wash.
- Cashew parmesan and nutritional yeast both help with the “cheesy” flavor of this meal. If you are not vegan, feel free to substitute normal parmesan cheese.
- Crispy sage and charred walnuts are an additional step I’ve marked as optional, but they really make this pumpkin pasta taste restaurant-quality.
This sauce would also be delicious on top of a pizza. I plan to freeze some for easy dinners! For more orecchiette love, check out this vegan alfredo!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to let me know on Instagram @garlic_head !
Easy Pumpkin Pasta
- 1 10 oz packaged pasta of choice (I used orecchiette)
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder (Or three cloves minced garlic, sauteéd for a minute or so)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp sage, finely chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS tomato paste (optional)
- 1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
- Vegan parmesan cheese for serving, or cheese of choice
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Cook your pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add remaining ingredients (excluding walnuts) to a high-speed blender. Blend until creamy and combined. Add more almond milk if necessary to help things along.
- Remove pasta from stove, drain, and set aside.
- Pour sauce into a skillet over low heat. Simmer this skillet briefly, and then add your pasta to the sauce.
- If you'd like, heat a separate small skillet over medium and add a few sage leaves and walnuts. Toast until slightly charred, stirring as you go. This takes me about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with cheese of choice, walnuts, and sage.