Loaded with vitamin-rich greens like kale, chard, and mint, this naturally-sweetened, banana-free green machine smoothie is so refreshing and totally vegan! A healthy drink ready in 5 minutes, you’ll want to sip this every morning.
It’s important to mention that I am not a “smoothie” person. A large part of this being that when I do see one that looks delicious, I rarely have all ingredients on hand. Unlike with many recipes, “winging it” never works for me and I end up with a brown sludge that tastes like everything and nothing. I’ve accepted that I can never drink a smoothie by itself as a meal; I need to chew food to feel satisfied.😂
I do enjoy them from time to time! When thought of as more of a drink and less of a “snack,” I’m definitely on board.
For example, today’s “green machine.”
That color though!
I cannot take the credit for this inspiration: I stumbled across a very similar combination from Erthe Foods at the Little Italy Farmer’s Market. As soon as I sipped it I knew I needed to try to recreate at home! I’d already done a green machine bowl, so this was a fun new experiment.
How to make this green machine smoothie taste good
- Swiss chard has a milder flavor than pure kale, so we’re using a higher percentage of it here. It’s equally loaded with nutritional benefits!
- Mint and lime make this very refreshing and hydrating, making this great post-workout or if you live in a hot climate.
- Flax seeds help keep things creamy! Apples and dates add some nice natural sweetness.
I hope you all enjoy this simple green smoothie! Please let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Want more smoothie recipes? Give these a try:
Loaded with vitamin-rich greens like kale, chard, and mint, this naturally-sweetened, banana-free green machine smoothie is so refreshing and totally vegan! A healthy drink ready in 5 minutes, you'll want to sip this every morning.
- 3 leaves rainbow chard, washed
- 1 large leaf on-stem kale, washed
- 1 sprig mint, de-stemmed
- 1/3 cup lime juice ((about 1/2 of a large lime))
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple sliced
- 1 TBS grated ginger ((optional))
- 1/2 – 1 cup cold water ((or coconut water))
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. If desired, add 1-3 ice cubes to thicken/chill. Serve immediately for best flavor!