This Cranberry Cornbread Crisp is a mashup of your perfect Thanksgiving leftovers! A healthy cornbread-inspired topping makes this vegan dessert so festive and perfect for the holiday season.
For cranberry base
- 4 cups cranberries, or 3 1/2 cups leftover cooked cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar (omit if using leftover sauce)
- 3 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS cornstarch (omit if using leftover sauce)
For cornbread topping
- 2 cups torn leftover cornbread (proceed below is making from scratch cornbread)
- 1/2 cup flour, such as oat or all purpose (omit if using leftover cornbread)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or polenta, medium grind (omit if using leftover cornbread)
- 1/3 cup sugar of choice
- 1 tsp salt (omit if using leftover cornbread)
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBS coconut oil, soft or melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (optionally omit if using leftover cornbread)
- Milk of choice, optional
- If using leftover cranberry sauce, spread in a pie dish. If making cranberries from scratch, toss all cranberry ingredients in a large bowl then spread in a pie dish.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- If using leftover cornbread, combine in a large bowl 2 cups torn with sugar and coconut oil. It’s helpful to use your hands when doing this to insure the mixture is fully incorporated. If making your own cornbread topping, combine flour, cornmeal/polenta, sugar, salt, coconut oil, and corn kernels in a large bowl. Be sure to mix fully until a cohesive mixture forms. Add a splash of milk if needed to bring things together.
- Spread the cornbread mixture on top of your prepare cranberry pie dish in large clumps, like a cobbler. Bake for 30 minutes and check doneness. Cook for up to 15 minutes more, until topping is browned. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 304 calories
- Sugar: 19.6 grams
- Sodium: 340.8 milligrams
- Fat: 16.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 13.6 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37.8 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 2.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: cranberry, cornbread, crisp