These Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers taste just like the classic, but are totally vegan and gluten-free! Ready with just 10 ingredients and 25 minutes, they’re a healthy after school snack everyone will love.
Who didn’t enjoy Cheez-Its during childhood? For me, they were a staple addition to many after-school gatherings and field trip snacks. I haven’t purchased a bag in years, but when I got the idea to bake them at home, I knew I had to test it out for myself. Even better, I hoped to recreate the satisfying combination of orange cheese crackers and creamy peanut butter, with better-for-you ingredients.
Making your own crackers is surprisingly easy! You don’t even need a rolling pin, just a long glass that will help flatten. It takes just 10 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of baking.
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers
This healthier cracker is full of good for you ingredients such as:
- Oat flour (high fiber)
- Olive oil (healthy fat)
- Nutritional yeast (protein powerhouse)
- Turmeric (anti-inflammatory superfood)
Once you whip these together in the food processor and roll them out, you can slice into whatever shape you’d like. To stay true to Cheez-It style, I made little rectangles and used a toothpick to poke a hole in each. Not necessary but definitely fun!
I hope you enjoy these crackers as much as I do. They are a great healthier option for kid lunches. Please let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give them a try! If you’re looking for another fun snack idea, I recommend my 15-Minute Rosemary Party Nuts.
Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers
3 TBS nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup + 2 TBS whole wheat pastry flour(use oat flour if GF)
1/4 cup oat flour
3 and 1/2 TBS yellow cornmeal
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch turmeric, for color
3 TBS olive oil
4-6 TBS water
- Smooth peanut butter for sandwiching
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, ww flour, oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and turmeric in your food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add in olive oil and combine once more. While processor is running, dribble in water (just enough until a cohesive, crumbly mixture has formed). You don't want the dough to be too wet. Remove dough with your hands and mold into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out (using a rolling pin or long glass) into a rectangle with about 1/8 inch thickness. Slice into desired cracker shapes, using a toothpick or chopstick to make an indentation in the center of each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and slightly puffy. The crackers will firm up more outside of the oven. Let cool completely and make sandwiches with 1 tsp peanut butter in between each cracker.