Made with store bought, pre-made pizza dough, these easy Garlic Knots are a simple & vegan appetizer! Perfect for dipping in marinara sauce.
Garlic Knots, made at home
Garlic knots! Have you made them before?
Since I do not own a Kitchen Aid standing mixer, I tend to stay away from most recipes that require a significant amount of kneading. I do love homemade pizza however, which is where Trader Joe’s pre-made dough comes in handy.
I wish they still sold the whole wheat option, but today we’re making the best of it with an herby, garlic-infused recipe that is sure to be a hit at your next party.
How to Make Garlic Knots from Pizza Dough
First, you take 1 pound of prepare pizza dough, divide it, and let it rise for an hour or so. This will help insure the fluffiest texture.
Then comes the fun part – rolling. You’ll roll out the dough and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter. Holding each end of the strip, you’ll tie a knot (or bow!) with the dough.
With quick sprinkles of garlic powder and nutritional yeast + a brush of olive oil, these are ready for the oven! You can let them rise once more if you’d like, but I haven’t found that necessary.
What can I serve with this recipe?
Once the knots are in the oven you’ll met some butter on the stovetop while adding in some extra minced garlic and fresh herbs.
After 15 minutes of baking, the knots are ready to be tossed in the melted butter mixture. That’s it!
I enjoy serving mine with marinara sauce; pesto would be a fun alternative.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for vegan garlic knots! Please let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give it a try.
Want some serving suggestions? Try making these garlic knots as an appetizer for one of the below!Print
Made with store-bought, pre-made pizza dough, these easy Garlic Knots are a simple & vegan appetizer idea! Perfect for dipping in marinara sauce.
- 1 lb pre-made pizza dough ((I used Trader Joe's Garlic Herb Dough))
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast ((grated cheese if not vegan))
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBS minced mixed fresh herbs (basil and parsley are great)
- Pinch of salt
- Garlic powder
- Jarred marinara or pesto for serving, optional
- On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, divide dough into 6 pieces, cover, and let rest for 1 hour to rise.
- After rising, place each piece of dough on a floured surface and gently roll each into a rectangle. Be sure to use extra flour if dough begins to stick. Once you have 6 rectangles, cut each into 4 slices using a pizza cutter. Using your hands, take each end of a strip and tie into a knot (see photos for reference. Place back onto parchment-lined sheet. Sprinkle with some garlic powdera and nutritional yeast and drizzle with more olive oil. Let knots rest, covered, while you preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake knots for 15 minutes, until golden. While baking, melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add in minced garlic, herbs, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 2 minutes until frothy and fragrant. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a large bowl
- When knots are done in the oven, immediately add to the large bowl with the butter mixture. Toss to coat. Serve knots warm (they're not good cold!) with a dipping sauce like marinara.
- Category: Appetizer
Pin this recipe