Bakery-Style Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a breeze to make and ready in 30 minutes! Full of zesty lemon flavor and crunchy poppy seeds, this healthy snack will transport you straight to springtime. Topped with a sweet lemon glaze, they're perfect for brunch or Mother's Day! Gluten-free option listed as well.
- 2 TBS ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBS poppy seeds
- 1 and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (GF 1 for 1 or fine oat flour will also work as subs)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil or line a muffin tin with wrappers. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 TBS ground flax seeds with 5 TBS water and mix. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up; this will act as your egg substitute.
- To the same large bowl, add applesauce, lemon juice, coconut oil, almond extract, maple syrup, almond milk, brown sugar, sea salt, and baking soda. Whisk for 30 seconds or so until foamy and blended.
- Add in poppy seeds, flour, and oats. Stir until incorporated but try not to over-mix. It should be fairly thick.Divide batter in muffin tins with generous scoops; you should only make about nine or ten muffins.Bake for about 25 minutes, checking for doneness at the 20 minute mark in case your oven is fast. Check this by sticking a knife in the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out clean, you're ready!
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to cool completely on a rack.To glaze, in a small cup whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until thick without clumps. Drizzle on muffins and enjoy! These are best stored in the fridge where they will last for about a week.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack