Homemade Fruit Roll Ups are a great on-the-go healthy snack made with just three ingredients! No dehydrator is needed for this like classic mango fruit leather. Vegan, gluten-free, and no sugar added!Jump to Recipe
I’m a bit fan of nostalgia snacking, or recreating versions of classic “kid foods” with a more adult palate. Most recently I made animal crackers and have also enjoyed peanut butter cheese crackers and puppy chow.
I regularly enjoyed fruit roll ups in packed lunches and I vividly remember the satisfying feeling of peeling and eating it directly off of the roll. Fruit leather is a similar snack, but in bar form! Safe to say the rolls are more fun.
How to Make Fruit Roll Ups
This recipe could not be much easier, with just 5 minutes of active prep time! I will forewarn that I takes 5 hours to bake in the oven, so best accomplished on a day where you are able to stay home for a while. Baking at a low temperature is the key to that perfectly dried texture.
If you have a dehydrator, that may work also. I don’t think this is an item many people have access to, so I haven’t tested it.
Mango is a personal favorite fruit of mine and I happened to have a large bag of in my freezer. After a quick thaw in the microwave, your fruit is ready to use. I added part of a frozen banana for added sweetness as well. In total, you’ll need three cups of fruit.
Depending on how sweet your fruit is, you may need to add a dash of honey or maple syrup. A squeeze of lemon juice helps round out the flavors.
A crucial part of making these rolls is insuring that the fruit mixture is entirely flat on the tray. Tapping it a few times on the counter helps!
The final step is a low and slow bake for 5 hours at 170 degrees F.
Fruit Leather Flavors
The nice thing about this basic recipe is that it will work with a variety of fruit types. A key is to insure that you’re using a fruit that’s rather fibrous, which will help the leather hold together. Here are some flavor combinations I think would work:
- 2 cups strawberries + 1 cup pineapple
- 1 cup banana + 2 cups mango (the combo pictured here!)
- 2 cups kiwi + 1 cup mango
- 2 cups peaches + 1 cup blueberries
I hope you enjoy these healthy fruit roll ups! Be sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give them a try.
Looking for other packable snacks? Try one of these recipes next!
- Customizable Energy Balls (no food processor required)
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Rosemary Spiced Nuts
Fruit Roll Ups
- 3 cups mango, thawed if frozen (see above for other fruit suggestions, just be sure the total is three cups)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (Optional, if your fruit is not very sweet)
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in high speed blender and mix until fully incorporated. Add a dash of water if needed to help things along. Preheat your over to 170 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Spread fruit mixture on top in a thin and even layer. Tap the sheet on the counter a few times to insure it's even.
- Bake for 5 hours until no longer tacky. Let cool on sheet. While still attached to the parchment, use scissors to cut into long strips 1 inch wide. Roll into a coil and enjoy!
Pin this recipe: