Refreshingly minty, York-Inspired Peppermint Patties take less than 30 minutes to make and are full just 5 healthy ingredients. No-bake, vegan, gluten-free, and so satisfying.
Jump to Recipe
Many people find homemade candy intimidating, and I can understand why. The need for special thermometers and the perfect timing can infuse quite a lot of stress into an activity that is supposed to be fun. These Copycat Almond Joys are about as close as I’ve come! Tempering chocolate is something I’ve barely experimented with, for this reason. I must prefer to watch Gourmet Makes attempt a highfalutin version of a Butterfinger.
I’m happy to report, today’s peppermint patties are an extremely simple yet surprisingly delicious take on classic York candies.
How to Make Peppermint Patties
As mentioned, we’ll only need five ingredients to make these minty candies:
- Finely shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Maple syrup
- Peppermint extract
- Coconut oil
Using either a high speed blender or a food processor, you’ll blend the coconut, syrup, peppermint, and oil. After a while it will start to become a tacky mixture you can press together with your fingers. You will then roll this mixture into discs and chill while melting some chocolate in the microwave.
Some tips for perfecting this peppermint patty recipe
- Be sure to use unsweetened coconut flakes. Since we’re adding maple syrup to help things bind, there is already enough sweetness.
- Peppermint extract can be purchased in the baking section of your grocery store. A little goes a long way, so feel free to buy the smallest size they have.
- I recommend storing these treats in the freezer, as the coating tends to melt if left out too long. I personally prefer the patties cold anyway…it helps amp up the minty flavors!
These make a great treat when you want something light for dessert, and coconut mimics the powdery, snappy texture of a traditional candy. Feel free to use whatever kind of chocolate you’d like for the outside (dark is my favorite).
If you’re a fan of traditional peppermint patties, I encourage you to give these a try.They taste surprisingly similar to the childhood candies I remember! Please be sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram if you give them a go.
5-Ingredient Peppermint Patties
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 TBS maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 TBS + 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- Flaky salt for topping optional
- In your food processor, blend coconut for a few minutes until it's a little clumpy. Add in maple syrup, peppermint, and 2 TBS coconut oil. Continue blending until a sticky mixture forms.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out balls of coconut and lay on a lined cookie sheet. Press them down slightly, so a disk shape forms. You should have 12-14 patties. Put this cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes, until candies are firm.
- In a small bowl, add remaining 2 tsp coconut oil to chocolate chunks. Melt in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring in between each increment. Do this until mixture is smooth and pourable. Set aside.
- Take your candies out of the freezer and, using a fork, dump them in the bowl of chocolate one at a time. Shake excess chocolate from each piece and place back on cookie sheet. Place back in the freezer to firm up once more, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- These can be stored in the freezer for a few weeks! Let come to room temperature a few minutes before enjoying.
Pin this recipe: