This Vegan Cheesy Garlic Star Bread is a show-stopping side on any table, but surprisingly easy to prepare! Parmesan, parsley, and butter flavor the inside, which is stacked and twirled into a star shape. We're going through step-by-step instructions, so I promise you will wow your friends with this delicious loaf!
- 4 TBS flax meal + 8 TBS water, set aside in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes (or 3 eggs)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 package instant yeast
- 2 TBS maple syrup or honey
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 TBS vegan butter
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh herbs of choice (parsley, basil, dill, or sage)
- Coconut milk, for brushing (or egg wash)
- If you haven't already, prepare your flax egg and let it gel in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine ROOM TEMPERATURE milk, instant yeast, flour, sugar, flax eggs, and salt. Knead it in the bowl with your hands until no longer sticky. Cover with a towel and let rest in a warm place for one hour, until doubled in size.
- While dough is resting, in a small bowl combine cashew parmesan (or nutritional yeast), vegan butter, and chopped fresh herbs until combined. Set aside Split the now-rested dough into four equal sized balls. Roll each to a large pancake shape (9-11 inches in diameter). Let each rest for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start stacking! Place one "pancake" on parchment-lined sheet and cover in 1/3 of the herb butter. Repeat this process with other three discs, leaving the top of the final round bare and then coat in a thin layer of coconut milk (this mimics an egg wash to give our star bread some shine).
- Place a drinking glass in the center of the circle stack (2 inches in diameter recommended). Press down slightly. This serves as a guide while you're cutting the star edges. You will not cut anything underneath the glass. Working around the outside of the glass, cut the dough stack into 16 equal pieces.Â If it's helpful, think of the dough stack as a clock. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, make four incisions at the noon, three, six, and nine positions. Cut all the way through the stack each time. Then slice each of these quadrants into four individual strips. You will end up with 16 total strips.
- Taking two strips at a time, twist them each around themselves ONCE so that the top is visible again. Press these two strips together and smooth into a "point" at the end. You will end up having eight star points total .Brush the entire loaf with coconut milk once more and bake until golden, around 30 minutes. Best enjoyed warm!
- This bread will keep on the counter covered in plastic for up to two days. Freezer storage is best after this time.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American