This Foolproof Vegan Rice Pudding is a comforting, healthy snack that’s totally gluten-free! Easily made with sushi rice, totally customizable, affordable, and deliciously topped with boozy rum raisins. Cozy up to a bowl now, it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
Have you ever tried rice pudding? It’s not something I ate regularly growing up, but will say it evokes very nostalgic flavors for me. Something about the cozy combination of warming cinnamon and porridge texture is like a hug in a bowl.
This recipe is nicely uncomplicated. If you’ve ever made a bowl of oatmeal or grits, you can easily make this vegan rice pudding. The toppings are truly up to your imagination. For a fun twist, I include below a recipe for boozy rum raisins!
How to Make Vegan Rice Pudding
From start to finish, this recipe takes under 30 minutes. After mixing your rice and coconut milk, you’ll boil and simmer the mixture for about 15 minutes. Warming notes of cinnamon and and vanilla amp up the flavor profile, while salt helps maintain the ice texture and augment all other flavors.
This recipes keeps very well in the fridge and is delicious served warm or cool. I like topping with a mixture of dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit, and whipped cream if I’m feeling fancy.
What Kind of Rice Can I Use for Vegan Rice Pudding?
I’ve made vegan rice pudding in the past, but I often had troubles getting it to stick together without using eggs. I’m running pretty low on staple grains during COVID-19, but I was lucky enough to discover a few cups of sushi rice in the back of my pantry. It naturally wants to stick together without additional ingredients, so it was a perfect candidate for viscous vegan rice pudding.
If you do not have sushi rice available, I believe that arborio would also work. If you’re having trouble with this sticking together, an egg or flax egg may help. To make a flax egg, add 1 TBS flax meal + 3 TBS water to a small bowl and let gel for 10 minutes in the fridge.
More Tips for Making The Best Vegan Rice Pudding
- While cooking, this rice wants to stick to itself and the pot. I recommend stirring every couple of minutes to mitigate this.
- Coconut milk provides the most decadent flavor and texture. If you’re looking for a less hearty option, almond milk works just as well.
- Change the toppings of this recipe to fit your mood. This can be served as a breakfast, snack, or even dessert.
- If you’re looking to infuse this recipe with even more flavor, here is a recipe that uses tea as a flavoring base. I will be trying this soon!
Looking for a more dessert-focused pudding? Try this Easy Vegan Chocolate Pudding next!Print
This Foolproof Vegan Rice Pudding is a comforting, healthy snack that's totally gluten-free! Easily made with sushi rice, totally customizable, affordable, and deliciously topped with boozy rum raisins. Cozy up to a bowl now, it's ready in just 30 minutes!
- 1 cup sushi rice (sub arborio rice if needed)
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk (sub 2 cups almond milk for less rich results)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (sub honey if not vegan)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, fresh fruit, sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit like raisins or craisins
- 2 TBS orange juice
- 2 TBS rum (or whiskey if you're like me and don't like rum )
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- Rinse rice if needed. Combine sushi rice and 2 cups coconut or almond milk and 1 cup water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, checking to see how quickly liquid is evaporating and stirring so that it does not stick to the pot. If you're using a different rice from sushi it make take longer to cook, so keep an eye on how firm the rice remains when tested. Mine was done after 15 minutes. The goal is a very sticky consistency that remains on your spoon when stirring.
- Once rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. It should be rather thick and sticking to your spoon. Set aside.
- To make the boozy fruit, combine all ingredients in a sealable jar and shake vigorously to combine.
- Serve rice pudding warm or chilled, topped with boozy fruit, fresh fruit, and whipped cream.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Pin this recipe: