This American Flag Slab Pie is a fun baking project that is much easier than it looks, using store-bought pie crust! Filled with sweet blueberries and strawberries, it's a perfect 4th of July dessert recipe that will feed the whole family. Serve with vanilla ice cream for a red, white, and blue treat. Totally vegan!
For the pie crust
- 2 packages of store bought pie crust, vegan if needed (thawed the night before)
- 3 TBS coconut milk for brushing (or 1 whisked egg + 2 TBS milk if not vegan)
- Raw sugar, for topping
For the filling
- 2 pints of fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 6 cups fresh red berries sliced thinly (like pitted cherries, raspberries, rhubarb, or strawberries) (frozen if needed)
- 5 TBS corn starch, divided
- 2/3 cup of sugar, divided
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 3 TBS lemon juice
- Pinches of salt
Prep for the night before
- Thaw your store bought pie crust in the fridge overnight, so that it becomes nice and pliable. Remove from the fridge when ready to bake.
For the pie (the next morning)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Oil a large baking sheet completely, including the sides. Carefully unfurl one of your pie crusts onto the sheet, lying flat. Unfurl the other pie crust onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Set both aside.
- Now it is time to prepare the fillings. In one medium bowl, combine blueberries, 2 TBS corn starch, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 TBS vanilla extract, and 1 TBS lemon juice. Mix to combine and set aside. In a large bowl, combine all red berries with 3 TBS corn starch, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 TBS vanilla extract, 1 tsp almond extract (optional), and 2 TBS lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt to both bowls and set aside (they will begin to release some juice, which we will want to drain away). Let sit for a few minutes.
- Now it's time to fill! Use a slotted spoon to place your berry mixtures on top of the rectangular pie crust. Add berries to the top left quadrant, in about a 6 x 6 inch square. Spread red berries across the rest of the rectangle until it is entirely covered.
- If desired, use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut stars out of your 2nd pie crust and place those over top of the blueberries. Use a pizza cutter or long knife tp cute large stripes out of remaining pie crust. Lay the stripes over top of the red berries, cutting as needed to for a flag.
- Brush the entire top of the pie with coconut milk or an egg wash (this will help browning). Sprinkle raw sugar across the entire surface and bake in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Rotate pie sheet and reduce the heat to 350, baking for about 40 more minutes. Be sure to check at various intervals to insure the top of the crust is now browning too quickly. You may want to place another baking sheet on the bottom rung of your oven to catch any potential drips. Remove pie from oven once nice and browned. Let cool for at least two hours before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes