This Fig and Honey Grilled Cheese is a grown-up spin on a classic childhood favorite! This sandwich with crispy sourdough bread lined with sweet fig jam, sticky honey (or agave), and melty vegan cheese will be your new favorite lunch!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 TBS fig jam, or other jam of choice
- 2 slices deli-style cheese (I used vegan cheese from Aldi!)
- Salt and pepper
- Handful tender greens, like arugula
- Oil for skillet
- 2 TBS honey
- Spread 1 TBS jam on each slice of bread. Lay cheese slices on one piece of bread, on top of the jam. Sprinkle a few pinches of salt and pepper onto cheese. Place greens on top of cheese and press sandwich halves together, so the jam holds everything in place.
- Add 1 TBS oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Place sandwich in skillet and press to insure full contact with the hot surface (it should sputter a bit when you add it in). To get a head start on melting your cheese, optionally place a lid on top of the skillet so that the cheese melts more quickly. Let cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. Drizzle some honey/agave on the outside of the sandwich before flipping (it will heat up and become crisp).
- Once sandwich is golden and brown on both sides, remove from the skillet, slice into triangles, and eat immediately!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American