This hearty Grilled Veggie Sub: the perfect packable sandwich or party hoagie option! Toasted ciabatta bread is full of roasted peppers, grilled zucchini, and a homemade sun-dried tomato pesto for a filling, healthy, and delicious meal. Ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil ( )
- Handful of walnuts, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup vegan parm or parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil or parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- zest of one lemon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
For the sandwich
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly into strips
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 portobello mushroom, cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced into strips
- 5 slices provolone cheese, vegan if needed
- 2 cups salad greens
- Prepare your pesto by combining sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, and cheese in a blender, pulsing to combine. Stream in oil and blend to emulsify. Add one cup herbs and salt and finish processing until a thick paste forms (it will be chunkier than usual pesto). Set aside.
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a large rectangular resealable container. Set aside.
- One your vegetables are prepared, add to container and shake to coat. Let sit for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours. Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet over medium high.
- While veggies are marinating, toast your bread in either a toaster oven or in the regular oven under the broiler, cut side up.* Remove one golden and spread thickly with sun dried tomato pesto, adding at least 1/2 cup of the pesto per side of bread. Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet over medium high.
- Proceed to grill vegetables to your liking, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Assemble rest of sandwich by topping pesto-covered bread with cheese, grilled veggies, and salad greens. Press halves together firmly and slice into 4-6 personal sandwiches.
*You could also grill the bread if you’re using a full-size grill!
This recipe will keep covered in the fridge for four days.
- Category: dinner