This Apple Hand Pie recipe is the perfect sweet treat for fall, and great for a socially-distant Thanksgiving. Made with store-bought or homemade pie crust and cinnamon-spiced apples, they’re easily eaten without utensils or with a side of vanilla bean ice cream.
- 1 package store bought vegan pie crust (2 sheets of pastry), or homemade pie crust
- 5 medium apples, washed and sliced thinly (no need to peel, just be sure to remove seeds)
- I like a mix of Granny Smith and Pink Lady
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup organic cane or brown sugar, plus more for topping
- 3 TBS coconut milk, optional
- Ice cream, for serving
- If using store-bought, thaw pie crust in fridge overnight or on the counter for 2 hours until ready to use. When making your own crust, follow your favorite recipe or the one linked above. Store dough in fridge until Step 3.
- Once all of your apples are washed and sliced into thin pieces, combine in a large bowl with cinnamon, optional nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and sugar of choice.
- If using store bought, unroll one of your pie crusts onto a clean surface or baking sheet. Keep the other in the fridge for now. When using homemade, divide your dough in half and roll out one half into a large rectangle about 9 x 13 inches (23 x 33 cm).
- To cut out your pie shapes, select two glasses or cookie cutters: one about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) wider in circumference than the other. This will be helpful as the smaller circle cutout will form the base shape of the pie, while the large circle will be the top layer. Select the smaller glass and out as many shapes as you can from pie crust #1. Be sure to re-roll scraps to maximize the number of circles you’re able to make (I got about 9 total pies in this recipe, but that will vary based on your glass size and crust thickness. No need to be too specific!). Place the small circle cut outs onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place back into the fridge. Repeat rolling + cutting process with other piece of dough, now using the large glass for cutouts. Now place the large circle cut outs onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and add into the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove cookie sheet #1 with the smaller circles. Take 1/3 cup scoops of your apple mixture (or about as much as will fit), and place on top of pie crust bottoms. Use your hands to mold as needed so that the fruit forms a dome. Repeat with all circles. It’s OK if you have apple left over, just set that aside for now.*
- Now, remove pie crust tops on cookie sheet #2 from fridge. Carefully mold the tops of the pies onto each small circle, taking care to not break the crust too much and making sure to cover apple completely. Sometimes it is helpful to dampen the edges of the crust with water so that they adhere more easily. Alternatively, use a fork to crimp the edges sealed. Use a knife to poke small vents in the top of each pie for steam to escape.
- If desired, brush the tops of the pies with coconut milk to encourage browning. Sprinkle pies with more sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check at the 30 minute mark and if they are not yet golden, wait 5 more minutes before removing from oven. Let cool and serve (either like a traditional hand pie or with a scoop of ice cream on the side.
*If I overestimate the number of apples needed, I like to bake them in a quick crumble alongside the pies. To do this, combine: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup oat flour, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter or neutral oil into a crumble topping. Add apples to a baking dish and spread crumble topping across the top. Feel free to refrigerate any leftover topping for later use. Bake in the oven with the pies if desired, and remove once browned and crispy, about 40 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 294 cal
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 423 mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 3.2
- Protein: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: pie, apple, thanksgiving, fall, hand pie, dessert