The recipe explains how to make whipped cream out of coconut milk (or coconut cream). With just two simple ingredients, this dairy-free recipe is the perfect topper for so many cakes and pies.
NOTE: I recommend chilling the coconut cream the night before you plan to make this recipe.
Equipment: you will need a stand or hand mixer
- 1 15 oz can coconut cream (coconut milk option explained in notes)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- If possible, chill your coconut cream the night before you plan to make the recipe. The next day, remove it from the fridge, open the can, and scrape out all solid portions (it should be nearly the entire can). Empty into a large bowl, stainless steel if possible (to keep things cold). If using a stand mixer, empty into the base of your mixer
- Add 1/4 cup of your powdered sugar, reserving 1/4 cup for later. Using your hand or stand mixer, gradually increase the speed to high, using circular motions to incorporate as much air as possible into the coconut cream while blending in the sugar. Whip for 3-5 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Taste and see if it’s sweet enough for your liking. If not, add remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar and blend to combine. Add vanilla extract if using and blend once more.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to five days.
To make this recipe with coconut milk, follow the same chilling instructions but upon opening the can, scrape only the solid portions out of the can (they should have risen to the top). Reserve remaining coconut water for smoothies.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Whipping
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/20 of recipe
- Calories: 67 calories
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 0.8mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: whipped cream, pie, dessert, coconut