This Greek Spinach Pie-inspired Dip is a fun twist on a classic appetizer, and SO easy to make! Full of cheesy flavors, this Spanakopita Dip is a great last-minute appetizer. Serve it with colorful chips or phyllo crackers for a Mediterranean escape. This dairy-free dip will be a hit with everyone!
- 1 cup cashews
- One small onion or shallot
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 small cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen spinach (measured from frozen)
- .5 cup dairy free milk (I used almond)
- Juice of one half of a lemon (3–4 TBS)
- .25 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh dill, optional
- Pine nuts for topping, optional
- Begin by boiling water. Add cashews to a heatproof bowl and submerge in boiling water for 10 minutes. This will soften them and make blending easier.
- While cashews are soaking, mince onion/shallot. Measure .25 cups for usage and set the rest aside for another recipe. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onion to sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until golden. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring so that it does not burn. Season mixture with a pinch of salt, stir, and remove from heat.
- Thaw your frozen spinach by adding to to a microwave-safe plate and heating it for a minute or two in the microwave. Let cool a bit and carefully squeeze out excess water by pressing with your hands. It helps to do this over a strainer (the spinach will condense in volume a lot).
- Drain cashews and add them to a high speed blender with sautÃ©ed onion/garlic, 1 tsp salt, a few twists of black pepper, dairy-free milk, lemon juice, chopped parsley, dried oregano, and dill if using. Begin blending on a low speed, increasing gradually so that the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Season to taste adding salt for complexity, lemon juice for tang, or more herbs for brightness.
- Serve dip warm or cool with chips of choice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup dip
- Calories: 107 calories
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 332 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.8 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: spanakopita, dip, spinach, cheese, cashew cheese, appetizer, party