This simple Vegan Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti Recipe is full of festive flavors and colors! It’s the perfect complement to a cup of coffee or tea on a cold day. Great for a vegan cookie exchange as well!
- 3 TBS ground flax seed + 6 TBS water (three “flax eggs”)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- Â 3 TBS maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour, or Gluten-Free One for One
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2 TBS coconut milk, for topping (like an “egg wash”), optional
- 2 TBS coarse sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a small bowl, combine flax seed and water for flax egg and set in the fridge for 5 minutes to gel.
- In a large bowl, beat together baking powder, brown sugar, salt, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until creamy. Add “flax eggs” and beat once more. Using a wooden spoon, begin folding in flour a little at a time, until combined. The batter will be fairly wet. Stir in your chopped pistachios and cherries.
- Shape the dough on your lined baking sheet into a rectangle that is 5 x 11 inches (about 13 x 28 cm). Pat the top so that it’s a smooth “log” shape. The dough should be about three-fourths of an inch tall (2 cm).
- Brush the top with coconut milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on, if using. Bake for 30 minutes in the middle of your oven. Remove from the oven when edges of biscuit log are beginning to set.
- Let the dough cool. This is important as it will help you when slicing the biscotti into individual cookies.*
- Reduce your oven to 325 degrees F. After 5-10 minutes of cooling, carefully use a paring knife to slice .75 inch (2 cm) wide slices down the long side of the biscuit.
- Arrange your now-sliced biscotti back on the baking sheet and bake on the middle or top rack for 15-20 more minutes. At this point, check to ensure the bottoms are not browning too quickly or getting burned (if they are, just turn the biscotti on their side to continue baking).
- Remove cranberry pistachio biscotti from the oven and let cool.
I read on King Arthur Flour that a spray bottle filled with water can help here. Just spritz the top and sides of the cooked dough a few times to help soften the crust, making slicing easier.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 biscotti
- Calories: 118 calories
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 1.8 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.4 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7.6 mg
Keywords: biscotti, cookie, cranberry, pistachio