This Kale Caesar is a lunchtime winner that will make you crave salad! Full of hearty crispy chickpeas and doused in a tangy tahini-parmesan dressing, it will keep you full and satisfied. Full of plant-based protein, this easy lunch recipe is totally vegan and gluten-free.
For tahini parmesan caesar dressing:
- One third cup tahini
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- One fourth cup cashew parmesan
- 2 TBS chopped parsley
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- Water to thin
For crispy chickpeas:
- 3 TBS neutral oil
- 15 oz cooked chickpeas (one can), drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast, or more parmesan (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1 TBS crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 head curly kale (about 5 cups), washed and dried
- 1–2 cups sliced cabbage or Brussels sprouts, washed and dried
- One half avocado, sliced
- To begin, combine all ingredients for dressing except water in a bowl or blender. Mix/blend to combine. Slowly stream in water until a thick but pourable consistency is achieved. Set aside.
- To make chickpeas, heat 3 TBS oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add chickpeas and stir, making an even layer in the pan.
- Add nutritional yeast, cumin, salt, maple syrup, and red pepper if using. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes. You may need to add more oil if they begin to stick. Stir every now and then until evenly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add kale and cabbage to a large bowl and drizzle 4 TBS of the dressing on top. Using your hands, massage dressing into kale (this will make it easier to eat and more flavorful). Add more dressing to your liking, rubbing it in as you go.
- To serve, plate salad greens topped with crispy chickpeas and slices of avocado. Serve with more dressing on the side as desired.
Click here to watch a short video of how to make this salad.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stirring
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 297 calories
- Sugar: 9.2 grams
- Sodium: 1030 milligrams
- Fat: 14.5 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.7 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 34 grams
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 11.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: caesar, kale, salad, chickpea, protein, avocado, tahini