These Creamy Kale and Potato Tacos are inspired by those served the classic Washington, D.C. restaurant Chaia! This version uses a cashew cream sauce base to cook crispy potatoes and kale for the perfect tortilla filling. Topped with salsa verde, pickled onions, and micro greens, they’re a delicious and easy plant-based dinner option!
For taco base:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 golden potatoes, medium in size, washed
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 2 cups curly kale, washed and de-stemmed
- Juice of half of a lime
- Salsa verde
- Picked onions
- Micro greens
- Corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Begin by preparing your cashew cream – add cashews to a heatproof bowl and top with one cup boiling water. Let soak for at least 10 minutes to soften.
- Slice potatoes into thin rounds, place on a heatproof plate, and microwave for 5 minutes to soften. If you don’t have a microwave this is OK, but your potatoes may need to cook a little longer in step 3.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Add potatoes in a thin layer and sprinkle with sea salt. Let sit for about 5 minutes until the bottoms begin to get crispy and browned. Stir and flip as needed to prevent burning, but make sure not to agitate them too much as you want a crust to begin to develop. Sprinkle with cumin and chili powder. Add a bit more oil if things begin to stick.
- Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds more.
- Add kale to skillet along with one half cup water. Cover the skillet to let kale steam and soften for about three minutes. Remove lid and stir. Cook over medium low for a few more minutes until water is evaporated.
- Pour cashew cream over entire mixture and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- To serve, add kale potato mixture to a corn tortilla with a spoonful of salsa verde, some pickled onions, and a few sprigs of micro greens.
Nutrition information listed for potato kale filling only
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stirring
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 233 calories
- Sugar: 2.1 grams
- Sodium: 598 milligrams
- Fat: 14.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.9 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 24 grams
- Fiber: 3.4 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: taco, potato, kale, dinner, healthy, chaia