These Homemade French Toast Sticks with Cinnamon Sugar are a nostalgic + healthier version of the classic cafeteria breakfast! Made totally vegan and easily gluten-free, this recipe is a breeze to make and a hit with adults and kids alike. This is a freezer-friendly snack or dessert recipe.
- 6–8 pieces thick-cut bread (like Texas Toast), sliced into 3-4 pieces each
- 2 cups nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 3 TBS Maple syrup
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 4 tsp Cinnamon, divided
- 2 TBS ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat*. Prepare your bread by slicing it into thick strips, about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long.
- Pour your milk into a large, shallow dish (I used a pie pan) and stir in maple syrup, vanilla, HALF of the cinnamon, flaxseeds, and salt
- Taking one slice at a time, submerge in the milk mixture and flip to coat as needed. Don’t let it sit too long as you don’t want it to fall apart. A few seconds should do the trick. Place dunked french toast stick on the prepared sheet and repeat with remaining slices of bread. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully flip slices over. Place back in oven and bake for 5-10 more minutes, checking to ensure the pieces do not dry out too much. While baking, mix remaining 2 tsp cinnamon and sugar on a large plate.
- Melt butter in the microwave or in a large skillet. Remove from heat.
- Carefully remove french toast sticks from oven and quickly toss in butter then in cinnamon sugar mixture, taking care to tap off the excess sugar and to not burn yourself! Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
*If you do not have a reusable mat or parchment paper, rub 2 TBS oil across the sheet to prevent sticking.
To freeze french toast sticks, pace in an even layer on a lined cookie sheet and freeze until firm, then stack in a reusable bag or sealed container. To reheat, place in a 350 degree oven (or high temperature toaster oven) for 5-10 minutes, until warmed.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 179 calories
- Sugar: 18.5 grams
- Sodium: 364 milligrams
- Fat: 2.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 grams
- Fiber: 4.4 grams
- Protein: 4.4 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: french toast, sticks, cinnamon, sugar, breakfast, nostalgic