Make your own healthy thin mints! This easy recipe is vegan and gluten-free, while tasting just like the classic Girl Scout cookies.
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour, or gluten-free One for One (80 g)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (28 g)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBS coconut oil, slightly softened (28 g)
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS brown sugar (119 g)
- 2 TBS almond milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped ( around 6 oz, 170 g)
- In a small bowl, mix with a fork flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Try to eliminate all clumps (feel free to sift if you have the equipment to do so).
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil, brown sugar, almond milk and peppermint extract until a smooth paste forms. Slowly pour dry mixture into wet and work together with your fork. It may take some time but should come together as a wet dough. Place ball of dough on on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Placing another layer of parchment on top, begin pressing the dough into a rectangular shape. Using a large glass or rolling pin, roll dough to desired thickness (1/4 inch is good). Remove top layer of parchment and check for an even layer throughout.
- Pop this tray in the freezer for 10ish minutes to firm up while you preheat your over to 350 degrees F.
- Remove your tray from the freezer and, using a shot glass (or a spice container lid), cut out small circles and place on a separate, lined baking sheet. Try to use as much dough as possible, re-rolling the scraps to maximize. Bake the cookie for 12-15 minutes and let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes outside of the oven (they’ll firm up some more).
- While cookies are cooling, melt your chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time. Submerge each cookie in the melted chocolate and, using a fork, scoop out to let residual chocolate drip off. Place back on parchment-lined sheet and continue with all other cookies.
- Let cookies set up once more for 10 minutes in the freezer, and enjoy! As mentioned, these are best when eaten cold.
If you are out of coconut oil, feel free to substitute melted vegan butter or canola oil.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 75 grams
- Sugar: 5.8 grams
- Sodium: 39.6 milligrams
- Fat: 3.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.4 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9.5 grams
- Fiber: 1 grams
- Protein: 0.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: chocolate, girl scout, thin mint