Try a healthy take on a classic Girl Scout Cookie with these Homemade Vegan Samoas! Made with pantry ingredients but full of flavor, these coconut, caramel, and chocolate cookies taste just like the original.
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour (or Gluten-Free 1 for 1)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- About 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable mat.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, coconut, salt, and baking soda. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, almond milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Add small bowl to large and mix well until blended into a smooth mixture.
- Form cookie dough into 1/2 TBS-sized balls. You can either form into rings now or just form discs (where the centers will be popped out after baking).* Bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.
- While cookies are cooling, melt chocolate in the microwave (in 30 second increments, stirring each time) or in a double boiler on the stove.
- Carefully dip each cookie into the melted chocolate, coating only the bottom. Scrape excess chocolate off with a spoon and back into the bowl. Once all bottoms are coated drizzle the rest of the melted chocolate on top of the cookie in a decorative pattern. Let cool to harden and enjoy! These cookies will last 5 days in a sealed container in the fridge, but I recommend storing them in the freezer.
The cookies will expand in the oven, so you may need to use a utensil to poke out the centers. This is why the initial shape of the cookies is not very important!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 88 calories
- Sugar: 6.2 grams
- Sodium: 64 milligrams
- Fat: 3.3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.1 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 grams
- Fiber: 1.1 grams
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: coconut, caramel, chocolate, girl scout