Easy Irish Soda bread, ready in one hour! With dried fruit and classic flavors like caraway, this simple vegan bread recipe is fun to make and a great pairing for so many meals.
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (363 grams)
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (56.7 grams)
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour* (507.5 grams)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (150 grams) [add more if you are not using raisins]
- 1 cup raisins or dried fruit of choice, optional
- 2 TBS milled flaxseeds
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 2 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt (6 grams)
- 1 TBS caraway seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and set aside a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. In a small bowl, add almond milk and apple cider vinegar (this will be your “buttermilk”). Set aside to curdle for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine in a large bowl flour, brown sugar, raisins if using, flaxseeds, cornstarch, baking soda, sea salt, and caraway seeds if using. Mix until evenly incorporated (no need to knead).
- Using a spoon, create a well in the center (this will be for wet ingredients). Add melted butter to buttermilk and slowly pour wet into dry ingredients well in large bowl. Fold dry mixture into wet, carefully avoiding clumps until you have a smooth dough (using your hands can be helpful here). If your dough is too wet, add a few more tablespoons of flour until it’s easier to handle but not overly dry. Mold dough into shape of your choice on parchment-lined baking sheet (there’s no real need to flatten). The dough will spread as it bakes.
- Bake for around 50-60 minutes, until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Let cool fully before slicing (the bread structure will solidify as it cools).
*If you have all purpose bread flour on hand, I recommend substituting this here
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Irish
- Serving Size: 1/20 of recipe
- Calories: 174 calories
- Sugar: 12 grams
- Sodium: 329 milligrams
- Fat: 4.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30.4 grams
- Fiber: 1.2 grams
- Protein: 2.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: vegan bread, irish recipes, irish soda bread,