Bakery-Style Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a breeze to make and ready in 30 minutes! Full of zesty lemon flavor and crunchy poppy seeds, this healthy snack will transport you straight to springtime. Topped with a sweet berry jam glaze, they’re perfect for brunch or Mother’s Day!Â Gluten-free option listed as well.
Lemon is a classically bright flavor for cooler months, which is part of the reason why I consider lemon poppyseed such a happy flavor – it really helps signal spring! That is the inspiration for this bakery-style recipe. These muffins are fluffy, perfectly tart, stuffed with poppy seeds, and topped with a bright, berry jam glaze.
Love lemon? Try these Soft Batch Lemon Crinkle Cookies next.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground flax seeds with water and mix. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- To the same large bowl, add applesauce, lemon juice, coconut oil, almond extract, maple syrup, almond milk, brown sugar, sea salt, and baking soda. Whisk for 30 seconds or so until foamy and blended.
- Add in poppy seeds, flour, and oats. It should be fairly thick.Divide batter in muffin tins with generous scoops. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant. Check this by sticking a knife in the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they are ready.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to cool completely on a rack.
How to Make Bakery-Style Muffins
If you’re not familiar, the term “bakery-style” here refers to the overly large and fluffy muffins we often see in glass cases at cafes and coffee shops. Here are a few tips to emulate this at home:
- Ensure your baking soda is fresh.Â Rising agents like baking soda and baking powder lose their effectiveness over time, so try to use it within 6 months of opening. If does not go “bad” necessarily, but will not be as powerful. This article includes a test you can perform to check if your baking soda is good prior to using.
- Work quickly. Again, baking soda can be finicky to be work with. It is alkaline, so will begin releasing carbon dioxide as soon as it mixes with an acid (in this recipe, that acid is lemon juice). To ensure you’re maximizing the amount of leavening that happens while your muffins are baking, it’s best to not let the batter sit around before going into the oven.
- Overfill the muffin tins. While this may sound obvious, portioning this recipe into 8-9 muffins as opposed to the standard 12 will help us achieve that perfectly domed shape.
More Tips For Making Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Use not one but TWO flax eggs, and let them sit for a full five minutes to bind together.
- Measure your flour correctly. I have been known to just dunk my measuring cup into the flour bag (it’s SO much easier) but exact quantities really do make a difference. This video explains some helpful tips for the level method.
Where to Buy Poppy Seeds
Many smaller grocery stores or organic markets will stock poppy seeds in their bulk section. Another place to look is the spice aisle.Â Amazon also sells a large bag, which may be worth the investment if you plan to make a few poppy seed recipes.
Looking for more bakery-inspired recipes? Try one of these next!
- Extra-Fluffy Cinnamon Rolls
- Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Grapefruit Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- Vegan Apple Strudel
Pin this recipe: