These easy strawberry shortcakes are totally vegan and come together in a flash! A great spring or summer dessert idea filled with fresh, bright berries and creamy coconut whip.
- 1 TBS flax seeds, ground*
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose or Gluten-Free 1 for 1 flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBS solid coconut oil
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice, divided
- 2 TBS maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS organic cane sugar, plus more for topping
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
- One recipe coconut whipped cream, or store-bought whipped cream of choice.
- First, take your flax seeds in a medium bowl and add 3 TBS water. Set aside to gel, this will act as your egg substitute. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line one baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper (or a light layer of oil, to help prevent sticking).
- In a large bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt. Using two knives or forks, “cut” your coconut oil into the flour mixture in a crisscross fashion until it is evenly combined. This just means mix until there are no largely visible chunks, it should have a somewhat sandy texture. Set aside.
- In the bowl with your flax “egg,” add almond/coconut milk, lemon juice, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Gently pour into your large bowl and mix until a dough forms. Try not to overwork the dough and knead just until it comes together with no dry spots.
- Form eight balls of dough and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down slightly with your hand.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top, if desired. Bake for 10 – 13 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely. While shortcakes are baking, mix chopped strawberries in a bowl with 2 TBS sugar. To serve, slice each shortcake in half and fill with whipped cream and berries. Best enjoyed right away.
*Feel free to use a regular egg if needed.
Nutrition information calculated without whipped cream
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake with berries
- Calories: 260 calories
- Sugar: 8.3 grams
- Sodium: 92 milligrams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6.8 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.2 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40 grams
- Fiber: 2.3 grams
- Protein: 4.6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: strawberry, shortcake, scone, biscuit, berry, whipped cream