This Plant-Based Zucchini Bread Recipe is a simple snack that’s perfect for using up fresh squash! Minimal prep time is required for this easy quick bread, making it perfect for midweek snacking or a healthy breakfast. Customizable and whole grain!
- 2 TBS ground flax seed (or 2 eggs)
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 1/2 cup neutral oil, like canola or melted refined coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour OR 1 cup whole wheat flour and one cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Begin by mixing your ground flax seeds in a small cup with 5 TBS water. This will act as your egg replacement. Feel free to use regular eggs as well (no need to mix with water). Set aside to gel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grate zucchini on a box grater until you have about 1 cup, packed. Feel free to do this in the food processor with the grater attachment also. Wrap zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and, holding over the sink, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This will ensure your bread is not gummy or sunken. Set aside in towel to continue absorbing water.
- Add zucchini to a large bowl. Add oil, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and brown sugar. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slowly add dry mixture to wet, carefully mixing until just combined (be careful not to over-mix, as this will develop gluten in your bread which we don’t want). Fold in walnuts if using.
- Add batter to a greased (or lined) 8×4 loaf pan. Top with more walnuts if desired. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting. Store bread covered in the fridge for 5 days.
- Category: Snack
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 221 grams
- Sugar: 11.2 grams
- Sodium: 169 milligrams
- Fat: 10.4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29.1 grams
- Fiber: 3.5 grams
- Protein: 2.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: zucchini, quick bread