This recipe for Brown Butter Rhubarb Crumble is tart, sweet, and slightly spiced with notes of cinnamon and cardamom. Flexible enough for a weeknight dessert, this customizable crisp recipe is a guaranteed crowd pleaser! A dish that is naturally vegan with gluten-free options.
- 6 large stalks rhubarb, sliced into 1/4 inch-wide half moon shapes (6–7 cups once sliced)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon (2–3 TBS), + 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
For crumble topping:
- 6 TBS butter (vegan as needed)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Scant 1/2 cup all purpose flour (or oat flour if GF)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (or more cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, optional
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. You will be par-cooking the rhubarb to soften it before adding the crumble topping. Add sliced rhubarb and optional strawberries to a large bowl and combine with lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Add into a glass pie pan or 8 x 8 glass dish and set a timer to bake for 20-25 minutes, until some juices have released from the rhubarb.
- While rhubarb is softening, begin browning butter by adding it to a skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Stir consistently to melt and let it take on some color. Actually getting the butter to the “browned” state should take around 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring intermittently. It is finished when it smells nutty and has darkened in color. You will know that it’s burned if it starts giving off an acrid smell (try to avoid this by keeping an eye on it).
- While butter is browning, combine rolled oats, flour, cinnamon, cardamom (if using), salt, chopped walnuts, and optional maple syrup in a medium-sized bowl.
- When butter has finished browning, immediately add to bowl with oat mixture. Use a spatula to stir together to combine. It should have a texture similar to wet sand.
- When rhubarb is finished softening in the oven, remove and add crumble topping (spreading across the entire surface in clumps). Place baking dish on a cookie sheet (to catch any overflow juices). Bake for 25-30 more minutes, until bubbling and golden brown on top. Remove from oven and enjoy with vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 229 calories
- Sugar: 13.4 grams
- Sodium: 124 milligrams
- Fat: 12.8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 grams
- Fiber: 2.5 grams
- Protein: 3.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: rhubarb, crumble, crisp, brown butter