This easy recipe for Bourbon Peach Crumble with Brown butter is full of fresh summer flavors! Made with juicy fresh peaches and a crispy oat topping, it’s a simple and healthy yet decadent dessert that will wow anyone. Serve it with vanilla ice cream for a crowd-pleasing treat! The recipe includes vegan and gluten-free options.
For fruit base:
- 6–8 medium-sized, ripe peaches (around 6 cups sliced)
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey, optional
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 TBS cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 TBS brown sugar, optional if your peaches are very ripe
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For brown butter crumble topping:
- 6 TBS butter (vegan as needed)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Scant 1/2 cup all purpose flour (or oat flour if gluten-free)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, optional
- Slice peaches and add to a large bowl with whiskey, vanilla, cornstarch/arrowroot, sugar (if using), and salt. Stir to combine. Pour peach mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet. Set aside and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Begin browning butter by adding it to a skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Stir consistently to melt and let it take on some color. Actually getting the butter to the “browned” state should take around 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring intermittently. It is finished when it smells nutty and has darkened in color. You will know that it’s burned if it starts giving off an acrid smell (try to avoid this by keeping an eye on it).
- While butter is browning, combine oats, flour, cinnamon, salt, chopped walnuts, and optional maple syrup in a medium-sized bowl.
- When butter has finished browning, immediately add to bowl with oat mixture. Use a spatula to stir together to combine. It should have a texture similar to wet sand.
- Add crumble topping (spreading across the entire surface in clumps). Place baking dish on a cookie sheet (to catch any overflow juices). Bake for 50 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown on top. Remove from oven and enjoy with vanilla ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 268 calories
- Sugar: 15.7 grams
- Sodium: 343 milligrams
- Fat: 13.3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6.6 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.7 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31.3 grams
- Fiber: 3.4 grams
- Protein: 4.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: peach, crumble, bourbon, brown butter, crisp