Taste the flavors of fall in this simple Vegan Pumpkin Cake recipe! Topped with a spiced cinnamon brown butter frosting, you’ll want to eat this all autumn long.
For vegan pumpkin cake (all ingredients at room temperature):
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree (1 can, nearly 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola, avocado)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt of choice
- 1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
For cinnamon brown butter frosting:
- 1/2 stick vegan butter, like Miyokos
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 TBS almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Oil the sides lightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, oil, yogurt, sugar, and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, optional pumpkin pie spice, flour, and salt. Slowly pour wet into dry, folding to combine. Try not to over-mix, just combine until there are no visible flour spots.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake pan and tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake on the center rack for 50-65 minutes, until a tester (like a toothpick) stuck inside the cake comes out clean (without any crumbs).
- While cake is cooling, prepare frosting by melting butter in a skillet on the stove. To brown it, cook over medium heat until the water inside starts to evaporate and it smells nutty. This normally takes 5-7 minutes. You should see little brown pieces forming. Remove from heat and let cool. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla vanilla, almond milk, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and chill until ready to use.
- Using a spatula, frost the cake once it is completely cool. Store cake on the counter, covered, for 3-5 days.
Nutrition information is calculated for the cake alone, without frosting.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: One eighth of recipe
- Calories: 414 calories
- Sugar: 33.6 grams
- Sodium: 224 milligrams
- Fat: 16.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 63.1 grams
- Fiber: 2.7 grams
- Protein: 4.2 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: pumpkin, cake, fall, brown butter