This recipe for Quinoa Stuffed Honeynut Squash is hearty, satisfying, vegan, and gluten-free! It works well as a main course for the holidays but is an equally delicious weekday lunch. Also delicious with butternut!
- 2 honeynut squash (can substitute small butternut or acorn squash)
- Olive oil, used throughout
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 shallot, grated or minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
- 1–2 cups chopped kale
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1/2 cup pecan or walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- Parsley for garnishing, optional
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Carefully slice the tops off of each honeynut squash, then cut down the center to halve. Using a fork, scoop out the seeds (which can be roasted if you’d like). Drizzle olive oil across each half, add some salt and pepper, and place face down on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until soft. If you are using a larger squash like a butternut, this will likely take longer (up to 50 minutes).
- While squash is roasting, prepare quinoa by rinsing and adding to a skillet with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a low/medium heat to simmer. Let cook for about 15 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Next, sauté shallot in 2 TBS olive oil over medium heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Stir to ensure it does not burn. Add in minced garlic, a pinch more salt, and dried herbs, cooking for one more minute. Add kale with 1/4 cup water, to steam it slightly (covering with a lid for a minute or so can help this process). Remove from heat and add lemon juice, pecan pieces, and reserved quinoa. Stir to combine, tasting to add more salt or lemon juice as necessary to make it taste nice and fresh.
- Stir in pomegranate arils. Taking each honeynut half, stuff with quinoa salad mixture. You may have some left over (just reserve for a salad topping). Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve warm!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 337 calories
- Sugar: 8.8 grams
- Sodium: 606 milligrams
- Fat: 18.4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.4 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 41.9 grams
- Fiber: 10.7 grams
- Protein: 6.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: dinner, squash, quinoa, salad