This recipe for Homemade Gourmet Crackers is perfect for entertaining! Made with oats, seeds, and dried fruit, these artisanal crisps are perfect on a cheese plate or eaten on their own. This recipe is very customizable, totally vegan, and easily gluten-free!
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (or yogurt)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (for a gluten-free version, this can be substituted with 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup millet)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (for a gluten-free version, this can be substituted with 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup millet)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or other small-dice dried fruit
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup rolled oats or thinly sliced pecans
- 1/4 cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, or sesame for example)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, optional
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that there is a slight overhang on the sides (this will allow you to easily release the baked product).
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, brown sugar, and pumpkin puree (or yogurt). In a large bowl, combine, flours (oats and millet if using), dried cranberries, baking soda, nuts, and seeds. Feel free to mix and match these item but keep the volume measurements the same.
- To dry mixture, add cinnamon, thyme/rosemary, sea salt, a pinch of black pepper, and pumpkin pie spice if using. Stir to combine. Then, pour wet milk mixture into dry and mix until completely incorporated. It should be relatively thick. Add to prepared loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- At 25 minute mark, test the loaf to see if a butter knife stuck in the center comes out cleanly. If not, bake for 10-15 more minutes. Mine took 40 minutes in total. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, carefully taking the cracker loaf out of the pan with the parchment paper so that air can circulate.
- Once loaf is fully cool (this can take a couple of hours, so feel free to freeze to speed up the process!), use a serrated knife to quickly and carefully cut 2mm thick individual crackers. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment. You will have 20-30 crackers depending on how you sliced/the size of your original loaf pan. Lay the crackers down on the prepared sheets side by side and bake for 25-35 minutes, until crisp but not burned. They will firm up further as they cool, so add to a cooling rack once removed from the oven.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one month. Serve with your favorite creamy cheeses and dips!
Nutrition information for reference is for one cracker, but this is not a recommended serving size.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cracker
- Calories: 37.1 calories
- Sugar: 3.9 grams
- Sodium: 26.1 milligrams
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 grams
- Fiber: 0.6 grams
- Protein: 0.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: christmas, holiday, entertaining