This classic recipe for Easy Vegan Pantry Chili is one you’ll have on rotation all winter long! It’s made with hearty pantry ingredients (and two types of beans) and is ready in just 30 minutes. It works well as a weeknight dinner and is made even better when served alongside fresh cornbread!
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced into rounds
- Salt and pepper, used throughout
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- For homemade chili seasoning blend: 2 TBS chili powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional), 1/2 TBS dried oregano, 2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked beans, or two drained and rinsed cans beans of choice (see note)
- Diced avocado, vegan sour cream, green onions, cilantro, vegan cornbread, or chips for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pan over medium on the stovetop. Add diced onion, carrot, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir and let sauté for 5-6 minutes, until onion becomes slightly translucent.
- Add minced garlic along with chili powder, paprika if using, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and salt. Let cook for 30 seconds until aromatic, then add bell pepper and let cook 30 seconds more.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and rinsed beans. If you’d like more liquid (some tomatoes come in not much juice), feel free to add a splash of water to achieve your desired consistency. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low (a simmer) and let flavors meld for 15-30 minutes. The flavor will continue to deeper as this chili sits, so you can’t really overcook it (unless you take the lid off and evaporate all the liquid away!)
- Remove from heat and serve with toppings of choice, including but not limited to: diced avocado, vegan sour cream, green onions, cilantro, vegan cornbread, or chips for serving (optional)
I used one can of black beans and one can of dark red kidney beans. This recipe would also be good with black eyed peas, butter beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, or light red kidney beans.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: One fourth of recipe
- Calories: 311.8 calories
- Sugar: 10.9 grams
- Sodium: 1143.2 milligrams
- Fat: 8.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.9 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46.1 grams
- Fiber: 13.2 grams
- Protein: 13.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Keywords: chili, winter, beans